After the cold weather we had over Thanksgiving, and the flu bug that had a few family members down for a couple of days, I am officially starting to face the fact that it is soon to be winter. One of the things I do to brace-up for the cold, the flu season, and the holiday food is to amp up my immune system protection in as many ways as I can. Lemons and lemon water play a big role in this effort. I have written about the value of drinking warm lemon water earlier. Still, it seems like a good subject to spend a little time on as we face the cold weather and all that comes with it.
If you are working on improving your health and helping your body rid itself of the toxins you are exposed to on a daily basis, then you are most likely drinking fresh lemon juice in water each morning. You probably think that your morning lemon water is helping your body detox itself by stimulating the liver, which is true, but, the fact is, that this simple practice does many more great things that you may not have heard before.
First, a lemon is a treasure chest of nutrients that includes calcium, fiber, magnesium, iron, B complex vitamins, and more potassium than in an apple or in grapes. Drinking lemon water, so is helpful to your body in many ways in addition to detoxification.
If you are regularly drinking lemon water, keep it up! If you’ve heard of some of the benefits of doing so, but have not committed to the routine, here are some of the best, not the only, mind you, reasons to begin today. Your body will thank you with overall improved health. Here are 9 reasons why I enthusiastically encourage you.
1. Fights Viral Infections. One of the best ways to fight off the viruses that cause colds and the flu is by drinking lemon water each morning. Lemons are naturally antiviral, anti-bacterial, and antiseptic, which means that they can stop most infections, including the viral ones. (When I know I am exposed to colds and flu, I up my lemon intake by putting a whole peeled lemon in my green smoothie. The result is not too sour a smoothie, but one that has an alive, energizing taste. Try it!)
2. Improves Digestion. Anyone who suffers from any type of digestive problem, including heartburn, reflux, or nausea can benefit from lemon water. Lemons help bowels remove waste and prevent constipation. This is a great way to prevent toxins from getting “stuck” in the colon. Even though lemons are acidic to start with, in the body they become highly alkaline, so they can help reduce the amount of unfavorable acid in the stomach, and keep a good pH balance there as well. PH balance is very important. Cancer and inflammation cannot live in an alkaline environment. Lemons offer a good measure of counteraction to an acidic body caused by a poor diet.
3. Stops Kidney Stones. People who have kidney stones can tell you how very painful they are, and if you’ve had one, your chances of getting another increase. Drinking a few glasses of lemon water during the day can be enormously helpful. Lemon juice increases the levels of citrate in the urine, which prevents the formation of kidney stones. It is also a mild diuretic, which can help you to pass more urine, aiding in the prevention of kidney stones.
4. Helps Control High Blood Pressure. Lemons contains potassium, which fights high blood pressure. It binds with salt and removes it from the body. Lower salt means lower blood pressure. Don’t stop taking your medication without having a conversation with your doctor about it, but adding lemon water to your daily routine may move you towards a reduction or elimination of blood pressure medication.
5. Great Source of Antioxidants. Antioxidants, abundant in lemon juice, help to fight free radicals which cause premature aging of the skin, chronic inflammation, and are the base cause of many diseases.
6. Naturally Beautiful Skin. Lemon is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial that can treat skin problems by killing the bacteria that cause acne. Lemons are full of vitamin C, which is necessary for healthy skin, and alleviates age spots and wrinkles. It also creates collagen synthesis by working with other connective tissue to hold things together tightly and prevent sagging.
7. Reduces Inflammation. “Inflammation” is a popular word in medical circles these days, and is suspected by many to be the cause of all disease. Lemons reduce acidity in the body, making it more alkaline. One of the main causes of inflammation (and gout!) is uric acid, which lemons work to remove.
8. Improves Your Immune System. The high level of vitamin C in lemons strengthens and boosts the immune system. Vitamin C is one of the first things to deplete when you are stressed, so drinking lemon water every day, and otherwise using lemons in food preparation where you can, is one of the best ways to keep your immune system strong and healthy helping to keep you free from infections and disease.
9. Cleanses the Urinary Tract. Because lemons are highly antiseptic and antibacterial, they will naturally kill germs in the urinary tract than can cause painful urinary tract and kidney infections. Because they are a natural mild diuretic, they help to remove the bacteria through more frequent urination before they stick to the walls of the urinary tract and cause a bigger problem
So, if you aren’t a believer yet, start soon with daily lemon water, and let the results be your guide. If you weigh less than 150 pounds, squeeze 1/2 of an organic lemon into one glass of warm, (or cold, but not hot!) water. If you weigh more than 150 pounds, use a whole lemon. Because the acid in too many lemons can be harmful to sensitive teeth, rinse your mouth out with water after the lemon water, to prevent enamel damage.
I’d love to hear your reaction to this post, as well as your experiences with lemons and lemon water. Do share in the comments below. And, if you haven’t done it yet, jump over to my facebook page and like the page.