1 cup packed basil
½ cup pine nuts
¼ cup olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp sea salt
Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides with a spatula as needed.
8 romaine or red leaf lettuce leaves for wrapper. *
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 avocados, sliced
2 cups broccoli sprouts or your favorite sprouts
1 bell pepper, cut into strips
¼ small red onion, sliced
- Spread the pesto over the bottom center of the wrapper
- Layer the tomato, avocado, sprouts, bell pepper, and onion over the pesto sauce.
- Roll the lettuce lengthwise.Turn wrap so that the seam is on the bottom. Secure with toothpick, if necessary, then slice in half.
* Collard leaves make great wrappers as well.
- Take a large collard leaf and remove the bottom stem with a knife.
- Carefully the thickest part of the stem so that your leaf is pliable.
- Place your filling in the center of the leaf, as above. Roll and slice.
–adapted from Going Raw, by JuditaWignall