During my last 6 1/2 years as a high Raw Food eater, I have gathered a list of favorite “go-to” recipes. Some are definite seasonal favorites, others work very well for, potlucks, or travelling, or times when quick and easy is a “must.” This Blueberry Pie recipe fits into several categories, is an unquestionable favorite of mine, and a crowd pleaser among many different groups of people. I think I made it for the first time during my first year Raw, and I look forward to enjoying it again every summer.
simple, straightforward recipe that takes little time to prepare, and sets up in the refrigerator quickly. It has a jelled blueberry filling and mounds of whole blueberries just like the traditonal blueberry pie.
(adapted from Living on Live Food, by Alissa Cohen)
2 cups almonds
1/2 cups dates, pitted and soaked (medjools are the best-the big wrinkly ones)
1 – 2 TBS shredded raw coconut (optional)
5 cups blueberries
1 1/2 TBS honey
For the Crust:
1. If you’re using the coconut, sprinkle it evenly on the bottom of a pie pan. It helps make the crust lift out of the pie plate easily. This works for any raw pie with a nut/date crust.
2. In a food processor, grind the almonds until fine.
3. Add the dates and blend until smooth.
4. Remove from food processor and pat down into a pie plate.
For the Filling:
1. In a food processor combine 4 cups of blueberries, 2 bananas, and 1 1/2 TBS of honey. Blend until smooth.
3. Remove from processor and add in 1 cup of whole blueberries.
4. Pour into crust.
5. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Note: The blueberries are gelatinous and will cause the pie to solidfy. Blueberries are very good for your eyesight, and contain potent antioxidants– more than many other antioxidant foods. Amazing.
|Perfect for July 4th Celebrations|
Enjoy! And let me know how you liked it. And watch for my next favorite recipe to appear.