These bagels are dense and hearty, with a strong rye flavor. They are so incredible served with Cream Cheese or Onion Dip*
2 cups sunflower seeds
4 cups sprouted rye berries**
1 tsp minced onion
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1/3 cup caraway seeds
- Grind sunflower seeds in a food processor until fine.
- Add the rye berries, onion and salt, and blend well.
- This will be hard to blend so you can add a little water as you go. Start with a tablespoon at a time and add up to ½ cup water. Be sure not to add too much, as this dough should remain very thick.
- Remove from processor, add in caraway seeds by band and place on a mesh dehydrator screen. Form dough into a 4-inch round bagel with a hole in the middle. (use abut 1 cup of dough for each bagel) or into a 2-inch high loaf and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 16-24 hours.
- Turn bagels or loaf after 8-10 hours.
Note: Make sure the bread is not mushy in the middle. Breads can take a long time to dehydrate depending on the thickness and type of grain used.
- *See the Onion Dip recipe here
- **For the financial and nutritional benefits of sprouting, click here, and for easy directions, click right here.
From Living on Live Food, by Alissa Cohen